Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Avery Grace has arrived!!




Praise the Lord! We had our little girl on Tuesday, August 19th at 4:48 pm. Avery Grace weighed in at 7lb 4oz and was 19 1/2 inches long. We are so thankful for God's timing. I went into labor on my own on Tuesday morning around 5:30 am avoiding induction. My contractions were intense by 8:00 am and once our doula got to our house and checked me, we left for the hospital. We spent some time in triage since they did not have a room available for me; then, we moved to the room we spent the next 2 days in. We are incredibly thankful for Sharon, our doula, and the nurse assigned to us, Theresa. We had actually already met Theresa when we we went to the hospital a few weeks ago to ask some questions, so I already knew that she was an advocate of natural childbirth, which is what I wanted. I had previously prayed to be on her shift. When I lifted my head after a contraction in triage and saw her face, I thanked God for answering my prayers. She was awesome and helped soooooo much! She allowed me to get in the positions that Sharon recommended to keep my labor progressing. Avery was head down but her head was tilted and she was turned slightly up and to the side rather than posterior toward my spine, which caused the transition stage of labor to be prolonged. The positions I got in (sitting and moving on the ball, in the tub with the jets on, squatting, on hands and knees, sitting on the toilet, and lunging) were painful but were able to help labor progress. From 9-10 cm it was extremely difficult, but with the help and encouragement of Sharon, Theresa, my mom, and most importantly, Mike, it was so worth it to do it all natural without medication. There was scripture read over us during the labor especially during the most difficult parts and prayer for Avery to turn. The last position I was in was on the toilet and the baby began to come out, so they had to basically carry me back to the bed because I could not walk on my own. Theresa called Dr. McDonald and told her to run! I pushed for 2 contractions and Avery was born! It was the single most amazing experience I have ever been through! It was extremely emotional and spiritual. Avery was very alert after delivery for family to ooh and aah over her. Once she was cleaned off, she nursed really well. We stayed in the hospital until Thursday then came home that afternoon. We are at home now and are doing well and resting. We absolutely can't wait to show her off! She is beautiful and such a precious gift from God.

16 comments:

Holly Gibson said...

Congratulations Avery and Happy Birthday! -Can't wait to meet you. Praise God for such an awesome delivery. I'm excited that you got what you were hoping for

Holly Gibson said...

Oh, and she is GORGEOUS!

Cris said...

Congratulations! Welcome, Avery Grace! Can't wait to meet you. So glad it went as you wanted it to.

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

Congrats Mike and Brandi!

Mike - you are such a ladies' man...of course this little one will have you wrapped around her finger.

Great pictures - she is beautiful.

David & Stephanie Armstrong

Kyle and Melanie White said...

Congratulations! I have been checking your blog everyday hoping for news and am so glad to read that everything went well. Avery is absolutely precious. We are happy for you both.

Rusty and Jennifer said...

Congratulations!
She is beautiful!

Susan said...

She is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! and SOOOOOOOOOO alert! Those big, open eyes....amazing! Can not wait to meet her one day and until then, to hear all about her and see tons of pics! Congratulations! BTW - we have to talk about that last centimeter....it's rough, eh? I love you and thank God for you!

Barbara Birdwell said...

Congratulations Brandi & Mike!! And welcome to the world ,beautiful little Avery!!She is very blessed to be born into such a loving & Christian family!!
We love you, Brandi---enjoy every moment---they're priceless!!

The Martins said...

What a beautiful and sweet little princess! I am super excited for you three. Praise God for answering prayers during delivery. Can't wait to meet your little gift!

ClintandGina said...

Congratulations. She is adorable! I had been checking your blog quite often these last few weeks. Blessings to your famiy of three!

Erin said...

absolutely beautiful!!! can't wait to see her in person!

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

we are so happy for you both and can't wait to meet your beautiful avery! all praises be to god for a natural and healthy delivery!

Anonymous said...

Congratulation!
So glad things went so well and so proud of you taking the natural way. Enjoy every minute, they grow up so fast. We look forward to meeting Avery.
Miss you around APT, but I'm sure we cannot pull you away.
Take care. Lots of love,
LaHoma & Bryanna

Mom23WildBoys said...

Congratulations to the Cabiro family! Avery is just beautiful!
Take care,
Laura and Derek C.
wildworldofboys.blogspot.com